install Kontact 4.6 in Natty

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 10:36:13 UTC 2011

On Thursday 23 June 2011 11:35:53 O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 23/06/2011 11:03, Thomas Olsen wrote:
> > Seems like a good enough reason to upgrade. Have you experienced anything
> > else one should be aware of?
>
> apart from earlier observations:
> 1. I was wrong on KMail ignoring "erraneous" pop accounts - it now
> correctly refuses to finish attempting to retrieve the account (keeps
> asking for password)
> 2. mail collection on pop3 does not chew up to 25% cpu any longer..nice!

Perhaps it was generating Akonadi/Nepomuk/Whatever indexes in the background?
Anyways it's nice that it works :-)

> 3. Trash is not emptied on exit despite my having set it to be (since
> forever)
> 4. on replies the signature does not get removed despite my setting it to

Buglets that just hasn't been cought yet. 4.6.1 coming soon ;-)

> finally I do get odd "hangs" on something Kontact reports as "conflicts"
> on certain mails - have not yet managed to figure it out, it happens a
> few times a day. Nothing I consider "oh no" as I can kill the app,
> restart and the mail is there. Just have to "catch it", get the error
> message and try find out what is the cause.

I wonder how it's going to cope with GMail IMAP where messages in different
folders often have the same message-id?

> Also wonder if there is any place where one might find some info on how
> the new kdepim is SUPPOSED to look and function?

Thats's a very good question... I haven't done an extensive search but
casually looking for a "KDE PIM 4.6 Getting Started Guide" turns up empty.

> Being in my case:
> KMail folders w subfolders containg all my old and new mail
> Local folders w subfolder Outbox containing nothing
> Akonadi_maildir_resource3 w subfolder Outbox containing nothing
>
> Is this even correct after a migration, what is the point of the new
> "main folders" and their subfolders?

Another good question ;-)

I think I will upgrade in between vacuming and washing the floors - nice way
to procrastinate :-)

--
Best regards / med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen