Problems with Kubuntu 11.04 so far.

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 23:30:17 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 08 June 2011 00:08:53 Mark Fraser wrote:
> I've been running 11.04 since Saturday and have already come across some
> serious problems:
> 1) Konqueror no longer integrates with KFind in that Ctrl-F doesn't do
> anything. Dolphin will only search in folders that are indexed with
> Nepomuk.

When you press Ctrl-F there's a non-intrusive search form at the bottom of the
page.

> 2) Ark no longer opens .deb files. Complains that it doesn't know the
> compression type.

If you click on a .deb file it would open with GDebi install. Or you could
right-click on it and select "Open with".
#notabug #usetherighttool ;-)

> 3) Audio CDs are recognised as CD-ROMs which means there is no choice to
> rip the audio.

That's a bug (or missing feature). I think it's possible to set it up in
System Settings/Hardware/Device Actions but I spend more than an hour
yesterday trying to figure out how to make it offer to open Partition Manager
when I attached a removeable disk, all to no avail.
I just noticed that when you hover the CD-ROM entry in the Device Notifier
popup it says "Play Audio CD with Amarok" so it sees it as an audio CD but
there's only one option :-/
Well just ignore the Device Notifier popup, open Dolphin and write audiocd:/
as the file path. You'll have to RMB-click just to the right of the path name
first if it is set to showing "bread crumbs".
Otherwise file a bug report at launchpad.

> 4) Firefox keeps forgetting installed add-ons.
File a bug report at launchpad.

> 5) Something odd happening with configuring Phonon in System Settings. If
> you try to configure Phonon, the Apply button is highlighted before you do
> anything. If I then go to Speaker Setup, the sound card is my webcam. If I
> sound card available.

Yeah, that KCM is rather flaky and has been for a while.
File a bug report at bugs.kde.org. There's probably already one there ;-)

--
Best regards / med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Dropbox and my thumb drive had an epic battle. Dropbox won.
http://db.tt/T0p6d6L