No workspace after upgrade to KDE 4.7.4

Thomas Olsen thomas at tanghus.net
Thu Dec 22 13:46:28 UTC 2011

On Thursday 22 December 2011 14:23 Loïc Grobol wrote:
> Hello, all
>
> I have made the upgrade from the ppa and saw it deleted
> plasma-workspace. I supposed it was for some kind of replacement so I
> didn't bother. But now all I get when logging to gui is a black screen
> with the mouse pointer only. I logged to a terminal and try to install
> back plasma. apt-get won't do it and doesn't find kde-workspace
> either.
>
> I obviously want to get back some gui, so any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Did you happen to have the beta ppa enabled? I saw that it was to do the same
and traced it down to that. If you can't get to a console using Ctrl-Alt-F1
then boot up in recovery mode.

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kubuntu-ppa-beta-oneiric.list

and comment out the repository:

# deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/beta/ubuntu oneiric main

Run 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get safe-upgrade' followed by 'sudo apt-
get install kde-workspace' [*] and reboot. Your "upgrade" probably deleted
some other packages you will need to re-install.

[*] If you're booted in recovery mode 'sudo' isn't necessary.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Olsen