Which USB Scanners work?

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Tue Sep 28 17:04:36 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 28 Sep 2010, FarSight Data Systems wrote:

> What I'm asking for is what are those on this list using, what problems, if
> any, did they have, etc.
>
> From these answers I will determine the unit I will get.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mark

I'm using a Perfection 2450 Photo. Bearing in mind that this was first used on
a PC that only had USB1.1, a couple of (few?) years ago I had terrible
problems when I upgraded to a machine with USB 2, as did other people. I
heard that somebody at Red Hat fixed the problem but in the meantime I'd
bought a FireWire cable and an expansion board for the PC. I looked behind
the scanner just now and it's still connected via the FireWire socket,
working beautifully. I've never tried USB with it since finding this
solution.

Apart from this, in my very limited experience any Epson or HP scanner or
printer I have plugged into a Linux box, "Just Works" including the HP
scanner/printer combo I plugged into a box a couple of weeks ago.

Dave