Which USB Scanners work?

FarSight Data Systems msh at farsight-data.com
Tue Sep 28 16:48:06 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 28 September 2010 12:15:41 pm Clay Weber wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:31:31 am FarSight Data Systems wrote:
> > I'm looking to replace my old HP ScanJet 6300c scanner.  It's giving me
> > problems.
> >
> > So, I've tried the Canon CanoScan 8800F and it doesn't work (and I've
> > tried) with Linux and Canon doesn't support Linux  (currently using Linux
> > Mint 7 on desktop and lapton and Kubuntu 10.04 on netbook) might be
> > upgrading to Kubuntu 10.04 all around.
> >
> > So, what scanners work with the above distros?  My parameters:
> >
> > Company should support Linux (an exception can be made for a definite
> > working flatbed scanner that's inexpensive)
> >
> > Price at or under $150
> >
> > USB 2.0
> >
> > Can scan at minimum of 600 DPI (higher would be better)
> >
> > Can anyone help me with choosing a scanner with the above parameters?
> >
> > Mark
>
> I suggest looking at
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html
> and
> http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl
> I am not sure how up-to-date these are, but the info is accurate. It can
> take time for newer scanner models to get support, sometimes it even takes
> a while for less new models. But searching by model/make should be good,
> but the listings may be valid for only the very latest sane version, I
> don't quickly see a way to easily determine that.
>
> Your Canon scanner is supposed to be supported in the currrent sane
> version, so my guess is the version of sane in Lucid is not quite new
> enough to have this recently-added device support. (it is one version back
> from sane's current version)
>
> There is a ppa with the newest sane for Lucid:
> https://edge.launchpad.net/~robert-ancell/+archive/sane-backends
> Might be worth checking out before buying a new one.
>
> Very few scanners advertise linux support up front, unfortunately. And even
> in those companies that do have great Linux support (iirc Epson and HP),
> not all their models do depending on the scanner chipsets used.
>
> I currently have a cheap Canon LiDE 25 flatbed that works fine, though I
> don't believe it is made anymore. It uses the 'plustek' backend. I
> definitely goes higher than 600 dpi, tho I am sure most do nowdays.
>

> Clay

I appreciate the answer.  I should have mentioned I looked up the SANE website
before I bought the scanner, figuring I wouldn't have a problem with it, under
the versions I've been using.

What I'm asking for is what are those on this list using, what problems, if
any, did they have, etc.

From these answers I will determine the unit I will get.

Thanks.

Mark