Which USB Scanners work?

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Sep 28 17:25:32 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 01:22:04 pm David Fletcher did opine:

> On Tuesday 28 Sep 2010, FarSight Data Systems wrote:
> > What I'm asking for is what are those on this list using, what
> > problems, if any, did they have, etc.
> >
> > From these answers I will determine the unit I will get.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Mark
>
> I'm using a Perfection 2450 Photo. Bearing in mind that this was first
> used on a PC that only had USB1.1, a couple of (few?) years ago I had
> terrible problems when I upgraded to a machine with USB 2, as did other
> people. I heard that somebody at Red Hat fixed the problem but in the
> meantime I'd bought a FireWire cable and an expansion board for the PC.
> I looked behind the scanner just now and it's still connected via the
> FireWire socket, working beautifully. I've never tried USB with it
> since finding this solution.
>
> Apart from this, in my very limited experience any Epson or HP scanner
> or printer I have plugged into a Linux box, "Just Works" including the
> HP scanner/printer combo I plugged into a box a couple of weeks ago.
>
> Dave

Which is quite a bit more than I can say for the Epson NX-515 I bought 6
months ago, its an all in one, but the scanner has uncontrollable shading
and is useless.  So I still use the old Epson 1250u which lets the lamp
warm up for a couple of minutes to stabilize before ever moving the
carriage.  Its like 5 seconds for the NX-515.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)