fingerprint reader

Tomasz Czapiewski xeros at irc.pl
Wed Oct 6 09:55:14 UTC 2010

I've been using fingerprint reader built-in in Dell Latitiude D830
laptop with Kubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 without problems.
It worked for login into console, sudo, KDE, etc.
All I've needed to do was to configure PAM with fingerprint reader
PAM module and store fingerprints scanned by userspace application.
Now I use fingerprint reader only for booting at BIOS because it was
quicker for me to write the password instead of properly snapping my
finger on the reader. It's not the driver/application problem but this
fingerprint reader is very sensitive (I don't know how's the others) and
I'm still thinking about disabling it on BIOS, too.

I've used the simple howto at
http://reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/Pam_fprint

Regards,
Tom