fingerprint reader

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Oct 6 07:50:02 UTC 2010

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Is there someone with experience of getting a fingerprint-reader on a
> laptop working for identification/password purposes?

I'd rather ask why anybody wants to do it and if it is useful to use
such a thing for identification pruposes at all. When I had a broken arm
last year I couldn't use my right hand. I could easily type my password
with the left hand though. Now imagine I had locked my machine to a
finger of my right hand …

OTOH, of course your question is valid because some laptops have a
fingerprint reader built-in and the hardware should work even if it is
not useful. Do you want to make an existing thing work? Then please
provide some more details of the laptop in question.

Nils