Wrong video driver being used in Lucid

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon May 17 21:12:40 UTC 2010

I have an nvidia Gforce 7600GS video card and I have "upgraded" to Lucid
via the alternate cd (it didn't wipe my system/home directories but
effectively installed everything else from scratch even though using the
expert mode) from Karmic where I was using the nvidia binary driver. The
upgrade to Lucid has replaced the nvidia binary with the stupid nouveau
driver which doesn't work properly (kde has the desktop display
configured at 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz but the driver is running at 1280x1024 @
50 Hz).
I have now installed the nvidia binary driver via the nvidia-current
package and the nvidia-glx package but the system is not using this
nvidia driver. In the absence of an xorg.conf how does one force the
system to use the nvida binary driver when installation of the package
does not activate it (it is contentious as to whether or not
installation of the package should force configure the system given that
on my laptop which is using an intel graphics chip an install of Lucid
from scratch on a newly formatted system installed the nvidia binary
drivers for whatever reason, but it is correctly using the intel i915
driver).
I have tried a   sudo update-alternatives --display xserver-xorg   but
it says there are no alternatives and,   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh
xserver-xorg   appears to do nothing.

regards,
Steve