Wrong video driver being used in Lucid

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon May 17 22:44:09 BST 2010

On 18/05/10 07:17, William Hamra wrote:
> On 05/18/2010 12:12 AM, Steve Morris wrote:
>
>> I have an nvidia Gforce 7600GS video card and I have "upgraded" to Lucid
>> via the alternate cd (it didn't wipe my system/home directories but
>> effectively installed everything else from scratch even though using the
>> expert mode) from Karmic where I was using the nvidia binary driver. The
>> upgrade to Lucid has replaced the nvidia binary with the stupid nouveau
>> driver which doesn't work properly (kde has the desktop display
>> configured at 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz but the driver is running at 1280x1024 @
>> 50 Hz).
>> I have now installed the nvidia binary driver via the nvidia-current
>> package and the nvidia-glx package but the system is not using this
>> nvidia driver. In the absence of an xorg.conf how does one force the
>> system to use the nvida binary driver when installation of the package
>> does not activate it (it is contentious as to whether or not
>> installation of the package should force configure the system given that
>> on my laptop which is using an intel graphics chip an install of Lucid
>> from scratch on a newly formatted system installed the nvidia binary
>> drivers for whatever reason, but it is correctly using the intel i915
>> driver).
>> I have tried a   sudo update-alternatives --display xserver-xorg   but
>> it says there are no alternatives and,   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh
>> xserver-xorg   appears to do nothing.
>>
>> regards,
>> Steve
>>

> in a terminal, run the following:
> sudo nvidia-xconfig
>
> this will generate a xorg.conf file that instructs X to use "nvidia".
> as a precaution, make sure you have "linux-headers-generic" installed as
> well, so that the nvidia driver can be configured correctly.
>
> sudo aptitude install linux-headers-generic

Thanks William. I hadn't used nvidia-xconfig because I have had issues
with it generating an xorg.conf that is wrong and stuffing up a working
system because of it.
I already have linux-headers-generic installed but that package is for
the wrong version of the kernel. I now have installed the headers for
the kernel installed and will see if that fixes things on the next boot.

regards,
Steve