Wrong video driver being used in Lucid

William Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 21:17:59 UTC 2010

On 05/18/2010 12:12 AM, Steve Morris wrote:
> I have an nvidia Gforce 7600GS video card and I have "upgraded" to Lucid
> via the alternate cd (it didn't wipe my system/home directories but
> effectively installed everything else from scratch even though using the
> expert mode) from Karmic where I was using the nvidia binary driver. The
> upgrade to Lucid has replaced the nvidia binary with the stupid nouveau
> driver which doesn't work properly (kde has the desktop display
> configured at 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz but the driver is running at 1280x1024 @
> 50 Hz).
> I have now installed the nvidia binary driver via the nvidia-current
> package and the nvidia-glx package but the system is not using this
> nvidia driver. In the absence of an xorg.conf how does one force the
> system to use the nvida binary driver when installation of the package
> does not activate it (it is contentious as to whether or not
> installation of the package should force configure the system given that
> on my laptop which is using an intel graphics chip an install of Lucid
> from scratch on a newly formatted system installed the nvidia binary
> drivers for whatever reason, but it is correctly using the intel i915
> driver).
> I have tried a   sudo update-alternatives --display xserver-xorg   but
> it says there are no alternatives and,   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh
> xserver-xorg   appears to do nothing.
>
> regards,
> Steve

in a terminal, run the following:
sudo nvidia-xconfig

this will generate a xorg.conf file that instructs X to use "nvidia".
as a precaution, make sure you have "linux-headers-generic" installed as
well, so that the nvidia driver can be configured correctly.

sudo aptitude install linux-headers-generic

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems