How best to activate a mobile internet modem/ SIM card @ Kubuntu Karmic?

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Sat May 15 17:44:27 UTC 2010

> Have you first made sure you removed the wicd daemon as well (package >wicd-daemon). If this is still running it will interfere with networkmanager.

Yes, I did. I have used synaptic to install networkmanager, which
automatically UN-installed WICD while installing networkmanager.

> Probably your problem is that you need to install KNetworkManager. This
>will give you a taskbar icon. If your HSPA/USB device is recognised, clicking
>on the icon should permit you to set up a new connection. Similarly for WiFi.

I have done so as well. Indeed, my HSPA/USB device is being recognised
by KNetworkmanager. But even when giving in the mobile number, PIN-
and PUK codes, nothing works out.
With WIFI networks, KNetworkmanager simply does not work, even when
giving in the correct keys, codes, etc.

When giving in this command in a terminal as root:

rmmod usbserial

I get this result:
ERROR: Module usbserial is in use by option

When giving in this command: lsusb
I get this result:
root at Viaconsensus2:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 12d1:14ac Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

Cf.:
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch//bb/viewtopic.php?p=1301#1301

http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/huawei-e1820-umts-stick-von-o2-usb-modeswitch/#post-2254107

What to do next???!!!

I really would prefer some solution allowing me to use WICD for LAN
and WLAN in combination with some other packages for the mobile USB
broadband device "HUAEI E1820".

Respectfully yours,

Bas.