How best to activate a mobile internet modem/ SIM card @ Kubuntu Karmic?

Mark Greenwood captain_bodge at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 15 18:20:20 UTC 2010

On Saturday 15 May 2010 18:44:27 Bas Roufs wrote:
> > Have you first made sure you removed the wicd daemon as well (package >wicd-daemon). If this is still running it will interfere with networkmanager.
>
> Yes, I did. I have used synaptic to install networkmanager, which
> automatically UN-installed WICD while installing networkmanager.

My experience is that it doesn't uninstall properly, there is a dependency problem somewhere. Check that the packages 'wicd' and 'wicd-daemon' are both not installed and that you have rebooted.

Here are the networkmanager packages I have installed:

bob at hoss:~$ apt-cache policy network-manager-kde
network-manager-kde:
  Installed: 1:0.9~svn1112085-0ubuntu4
  Candidate: 1:0.9~svn1112085-0ubuntu4
  Version table:
 *** 1:0.9~svn1112085-0ubuntu4 0
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

bob at hoss:~$ apt-cache policy network-manager
network-manager:
  Installed: 0.8-0ubuntu3
  Candidate: 0.8-0ubuntu3
  Version table:
 *** 0.8-0ubuntu3 0
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

>rmmod usbserial

>I get this result:
>ERROR: Module usbserial is in use by option

My USB HSPA modem also uses the 'option' driver, so yours ought to work with networkmanager. I also have no trouble with WiFi networks.

> What to do next???!!!

Some people, myself included, have found that Knetworkmanager works a lot better if KWallet is disabled. You can do this from System settings.

> I really would prefer some solution allowing me to use WICD for LAN
> and WLAN in combination with some other packages for the mobile USB
> broadband device "HUAEI E1820".

If you're determined to use wicd for WiFi networks, then your only other option for mobile broadband is KPPP. You would need to know the exact sequence of AT commands to send to your modem to make it work. I'm afraid I can't help you with that.

Mark