How best to activate a mobile internet modem/ SIM card @ Kubuntu Karmic?

Mark Greenwood captain_bodge at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 15 17:06:18 UTC 2010

On Saturday 15 May 2010 18:00:54 Bas Roufs wrote:
> > If you install networkmanager you need to make sure you completely uninstall
> > wicd and reboot before trying networkmanager.
>
> Now, networkmanager has been installed instead of WICD. It does work
> at my machine wired connection. However, I cannot find any applet or
> icon enabling me to look for WIFI connections. Even if I type
> "networkmanager" with ALT-F2, nothing happens or pops up. So far, I
> also did not manage to get the the mobile broadband modem working with
> it. Do I need any extra package enabling me to control networkmanager
> with respect to WIFI and HSPA/ USB mobile broadband (HUAWEI E1820)?
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.

Have you first made sure you removed the wicd daemon as well (package wicd-daemon). If this is still running it will interfere with networkmanager.

Probably your problem is that you need to install KNetworkManager. This will give you a taskbar icon. If your HSPA/USB device is recognised, clicking on the icon should permit you to set up a new connection. Similarly for WiFi.

Mark