Status of Lucid???

Kaj Haulrich kaj at haulrich.net
Thu May 13 15:12:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 07:35 -0500, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> On 05/13/2010 02:06 AM, Bill vance wrote:
> > I'm getting notices about the latest stable version of Lucid
> > being available.
> >
> > Just how good/bad is it?  Has it fixed the problems that
> > Karmic has, like sub microscopic printing in the menuing, or
> > on the various gadgets, and not being capable of recognizing,
> > or otherwise dealing with Hewlett Packard printers, etc?
> >
> > Bill
> >

> All I can say is that for my use it seems to work pretty well. Just wish
> I could figure out how to get my Wacom Tablet working. But, it didn't
> work before the upgrade either. That's about the biggest issue I've come
> across so far.

Well, since you asked here's my take on it: Finally - after all those
years with linux and KDE - I gave up on Kubuntu.

First, the recent upgrade from Karmic to Lucid trashed wireless on my
laptops rendering them essentially useless. I managed to fix them -
temporarily, that is - by rolling wicd back to the Karmic version.

Then I upgraded my desktop (a relatively new triple-CPU 64bit machine).
Ever since then I've had unending trouble, first and foremost with
Akonadi crashing Kmail and who knows what. Nepomuk eating all CPU
ressources, that damnned 'cashew' changing my screen etc. etc...

I don't know why someone came up with the idea of this Akonadi-crap. No
way to get rid of it or turn it off, as far as I could see. And I
remember the good old days when everything KDE was rock solid. Now it's
gone all the way into the crapola department...

OK - I got all my beloved KDE-apps (digikam, gwenview, kipi-plugins,
dolphin, krename etc.) back again, thusly:

Installed vanilla Ubuntu 10.04. Then all the KDE apps mentioned. When
everything worked well, I purged Akonadi and associated crap(was
installed automatically by the KDE apps as dependencies). And now
everything runs like a lightning in oil.

Life is good.

Kaj Haulrich.