Status of Lucid???

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Thu May 13 15:31:47 UTC 2010

On 05/13/2010 10:12 AM, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 07:35 -0500, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
>
>> On 05/13/2010 02:06 AM, Bill vance wrote:
>>
>>> I'm getting notices about the latest stable version of Lucid
>>> being available.
>>>
>>> Just how good/bad is it?  Has it fixed the problems that
>>> Karmic has, like sub microscopic printing in the menuing, or
>>> on the various gadgets, and not being capable of recognizing,
>>> or otherwise dealing with Hewlett Packard printers, etc?
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>

>> All I can say is that for my use it seems to work pretty well. Just wish
>> I could figure out how to get my Wacom Tablet working. But, it didn't
>> work before the upgrade either. That's about the biggest issue I've come
>> across so far.
>>
> Well, since you asked here's my take on it: Finally - after all those
> years with linux and KDE - I gave up on Kubuntu.
>
> First, the recent upgrade from Karmic to Lucid trashed wireless on my
> laptops rendering them essentially useless. I managed to fix them -
> temporarily, that is - by rolling wicd back to the Karmic version.

I've never had any issue with the standard network manager. [ but I have
to say my needs are simple. ] We just came back from a trip and it
worked flawlessly in the hotel on their wireless system. It works well
here on our home network also.

> Then I upgraded my desktop (a relatively new triple-CPU 64bit machine).
> Ever since then I've had unending trouble, first and foremost with
> Akonadi crashing Kmail and who knows what. Nepomuk eating all CPU
> ressources, that damnned 'cashew' changing my screen etc. etc...

I don't use Kmail so I have no issue with this problem.  No issues with
Nepomuk, whatever that is. The cashew only does anything when I click on
it, which is virtually never.

--
Some people are like Slinky's.

Not good for much but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop