Kubuntu/Ubuntu does not remove everything from memory at shutdown

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Tue Mar 23 23:46:46 UTC 2010

On 20/03/10 13:01, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Friday 19 March 2010, Steve Morris wrote:
>
>> Reinhold, further to this issue I have now found and installed a
>> Win 7 SoundBlaster Audigy driver supplied by the vendor
>> (Creative. Their website said the supplied driver was for Win 7,
>> Vista and Win XP) and this makes no difference to the problem,
>> sound is still not available in Win 7 after restarting from
>> Kubuntu.
>> A further query on this front, given that sound in Win 7 works
>> after rebooting from Mandriva and not from Kubuntu, Mandriva is
>> using the CA0106 driver for the card and as far as I can
>> determine Kubuntu is using the CA0106 driver for the card, given
>> that in both situations the driver is supplied as part of the
>> kernel and should be the same in both situations, what is
>> different in Kubuntu's version of the driver that is causing the
>> issue I am having?
>>
> Great. This makes for a way better starting point than that previous
> mess. :-)
> Just out of curiosity and because I forget whether you already
> mentioned this: does sound work if you boot Kubuntu ->  Win7 ->  Win7?
> IOW, does Win7 properly reset the device in this situation?

Sound is not enabled in this scenario, but this is not necessarily
surprising. I suspect the issue is that because of configuration changes
done by Kubuntu the windows driver thinks that the device is not one it
supports hence is not even loading.
> I have no clue what patches Ubuntu applies/fails to apply that
> cause/fail to prevent this situation. You do, however, now have a
> situation where you can report this as a bug in launchpad.
>
> First try to find out (using a live CD or something similar) whether
> this issue is fixed in the new Kubuntu 10.04 beta.
I will try and find an iso image for this beta. I was also going to try
the live cd for Karmic to see whether or not an older kernel has the
issue, but I have to work around an issue that the live cd is not
compatible with my monitor. I have an Acer AL1716 flat screen monitor,
and when the Karmic live cd loads the desktop I get a black screen with
a floating dialogue saying "Input not supported". From memory the only
way to fix this is to switch to another tty session, login, and run
Xrandr to change the resolution/refresh rate, but I will need to play
around.