Black screen upon starting up Kubuntu

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri Mar 12 08:45:01 UTC 2010

Goh Lip wrote:

>> No need for ctl.
>
> Didn't know that. I'll try it on reboot. Thanks.

Okay, done. But it has to be the *right hand side* alt key.
Using Left hand side alt reboots again. (I guess that's how Keith got back
to rebooting).
Thanks again Tom, something new.

> There is another way to boot 2.6.32-16-generic, ie.,
> at grub menu modify and remove quiet and splash.
> It boots okay for me too.

In my opinion, the best method to boot "problem kernels" would be to remove
quiet and splash from the menu. Create a temporary entry so that there is no
need to modify each time. Newer kernel updates, hopefully solving the issue,
will remove this temporary entry so there is no need to worry about this.

Regards - Goh Lip