Keeping settings/files on another PC

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Fri Jul 2 14:53:32 UTC 2010

Georgi,
On 2 July 2010 15:47, Georgi Kourtev <gkourtev at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a new installation of my home desktop.  If I copy the /home (including
> all ./ directories) from the back-up disk to the PC, would I have an identical
> mirror of the laptop (i.e. files + settings)?
Package versions and installed software? Not necessarily.
Settings? Yes unless some software decided to use hostname as a part
of the config.

> Another aspect of this question -- is there a way to synchronizing the laptop
> files with the desktop PC?
Rsync etc. does not handle modifications on both ends very well. The
usual solution is to synchronise to a common resource, in the cloud
(i.e., Ubuntu One) or not.
I tend to use Mercurial for anything that needs synchronised - on the
other hand probably using a versioning system for such is not for
everybody unless you want to know what document you were editing three
years ago and all of the mods and whys and store all versions on disk
for ever...