Keeping settings/files on another PC

Georgi Kourtev gkourtev at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 14:47:23 UTC 2010

Dear all,

I have a lap-top which i regularly back-up with the following command:

rsync -av /home/name /media/External_drive

I have a new installation of my home desktop.  If I copy the /home (including
all ./ directories) from the back-up disk to the PC, would I have an identical
mirror of the laptop (i.e. files + settings)?

Or I have do adjust all on the new installation and than to copy just the
visible directories (like Documents, Picture alike).

Another aspect of this question -- is there a way to synchronizing the laptop
files with the desktop PC?

Both machines are with 10.04 LTS, KDE 4.4.5.

Thanks.
gk