Slow transfer rates with FTP and Fish on Intrepid and Hardy

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon Feb 15 16:56:36 UTC 2010

I'm getting very slow transfer rates 10 - 50KB/s when transfering data using
Gftp on my local network. This is specifically with Kubuntu and Ubuntu
Intrepid, and Kubuntu Hardy.

I also have Kubuntu Dapper on this machine, and get the full transfer rate
that my realtek 8139 card is capable of (10007.26KB/s as an example).

Network manager is on Intrepid, and Hardy, but I have it disabled, as it
wasn't working properly, and have set up static addresses on these distros.

Internet access is ok, but as I'm on dial-up it's difficult to know if that
would be affected as well, if I had broadband.

Checked vsftpd config file, and uncommented a couple of things that are on
Dapper's vsftpd config file, but no change in the transfer rates on Intrepid,
and Hardy.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

Nigel.