Open Office upgrade??

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Sun Feb 14 20:48:40 UTC 2010

On Sunday 14 February 2010, Ric Moore wrote:
> I think that PA was merely an example used as the topic was being forced
> into an dist-upgrade when one already knows the perils of doing so, just
> to get OpenOffice fixed. Now, after jumping through the hoops, and an
> entire Sunday morning devoted to it, I still have the very same problem
> as I had before. A limitation on the number of rows imported, when the
> spreadsheet opens a zillion extra columns ...which I assume eats up the
> amount of memory for rows. For the life of me, I cannot get rid of those
> extra columns. koffice spreadsheet imported those rows without a burp.
> But it also added a bunch of empty columns. Nor does it seem to have a
> "hide" feature. <sighs>

I'm running karmic on a bunch of computers....   and just installed it on my
first 64 bit computer....   built-in sound on the MB.  (also a first for me)

Since I run XFCE which has minimal sound setup, I ran  systemssettings  from
KDE and selected <something other than PA> and sound now works fine.

I think you could get the sound to work...   and just bypass PA altogether.

Note:  I always install fresh....

Not trying to be in your face...  just giving my experiences with karmic and
sound.