(K)ubuntu @ Asus Eee PC 1001HA - request for advise.

Kaj Haulrich kaj at haulrich.net
Sat Feb 6 12:14:36 UTC 2010

Bas Roufs wrote:
> It would be interesting to try to get an answer to the following
> question: what exactly has caused such a difference with respect to
> the outcome of different qparted partitioning attempts - while trying
> to maintain a shrinked Win7 partition? Did you, Kaj, have your bad
> luck at a netbook?Is there anything else we need to take into account?

Well, maybe I shrinked the Windows partition too much when I installed
the Ubuntu. It appears that Windows7 has some "un-movable" files located
near the center of the NTFS partition, and the linux partitioner doesn't
respect this. Anyway, when I restarted Windows7, all icons were blank,
shorcuts did not work etc., etc..

When using the built-in partitioner under Windows7 one can actually see
those un-movable files, and when ordering it to shrink as much as
possible it preserves them at the very end of the new, smaller partition.

And yes, I did all of the above on two netbooks - an Acer One and an
Akoya (Medion) - both with the same specs as your Asus, as well as on
two laptops (Thinkpads).

At the end of the day, why keep this Windows7 partition? Unless you're a
gamer, scuttle it and use the space for something useful...

Kaj Haulrich.
--

--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 9.10 ---------