(K)ubuntu @ Asus Eee PC 1001HA - request for advise.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 13:48:45 UTC 2010

(snip)
>> .... what exactly has caused such a difference with respect to
>> the outcome of different qparted partitioning attempts -......
(snip)

> Well, maybe I shrinked the Windows partition too much when I installed
> the Ubuntu. It appears that Windows7 has some "un-movable" files located
> near the center of the NTFS partition, and the linux partitioner doesn't
> respect this. Anyway, when I restarted Windows7, all icons were blank,
> shorcuts did not work etc., etc..

Thanks for this clear warning!

> When using the built-in partitioner under Windows7 one can actually see
> those un-movable files, and when ordering it to shrink as much as
> possible it preserves them at the very end of the new, smaller partition.

This sounds important and practical.
Eberhard: you mentioned "Auslogics" and "Ultra defrag utility" as
alternatives. Are these packages also able to see the un-movable files
mentioned above?

> And yes, I did all of the above on two netbooks - an Acer One and an
> Akoya (Medion) - both with the same specs as your Asus, as well as on
> two laptops (Thinkpads).

Useful to know this!

(snip)
>> .....  "Kubuntu netbook remix" .... practical experience ...?
(snip)
> I like the concept behind the Kubuntu netbook remix, it makes using such
> a small screen actually quite easy
This sounds important.
> (provided you're prepared to Alt-Tab through applications)....(snip)
Alt-Tab through applicationf: thanks for this idea, which is new to
me. I already tried it - even on a desktop, I find it useful - it can
help preventing an excessive use of the mouse.

> However the biggest problem I've had with running Linux on my netbooks > is battery life. ..between 2 and 3 hours under Windows XP, and between 1
> .. and 2 hours under Kubuntu Netbook Remix.

This is a really important issue. The Asus I specified in the
beginning of this thread, has a revised, upgraded 6 cell battery; when
off-grid, but fully loaded and in combination with Win7, it seems to
work maximally:
* 6 hours with open WIFI internet and bright screen, or ..,
* 9,5 hours with closed WIFI and a less bright screen.
Additionally, this battery autonomy also depends from the software
that is being used. That's why, I am wondering. whether there is
anybody who tried the latest version of Kubuntu netbook remix together
with a 6 cell battery aimed at one full working day of off-grid
autonomy. Dotan? Anybody else?

> ... Moblin 2.1, which gets me back my lost hour - so Linux *can* do it....
Are you aiming at the distro from this website: http://moblin.org/    ?

Dotan and others: is this battery issue a point of attention in the
further development of Kubuntu netbook remix?

> I recommend you check Moblin out - it might not be functional enough for
> you if you want something that behaves like a 'proper' laptop, but for web
> browsing and email on a small device it's the best OS I've used.

It's always useful to check other distros! However, at the netbook I
want to buy, I want to use all the applications I use at the desktop
from which I send this message: apart from e-mail and web browsing
also, amongst others, OpenOffice (esp. Calc, Writer,  Presentation),
other packages like Gimp and Okular, Dolphin file manager, multimedia
packages (VLC, Amarok, ...), etc. I do not know how Moblin works in
combination with all those applications mentioned here.

OK, that's it for this moment. Have an inspiring weekend!

Respectfully yours,

Bas.