32 bit vs 64 bit

Alan Dacey grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Tue Aug 24 22:03:48 BST 2010

On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:24:25 pm Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 August 2010, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > BHASKAR SHARMA.N wrote:
> > > better installing 32 bit as it's better than X64...which's
> > > buggy....
> >
> > I'm sure you can back up that allegation with many launchpad
> > entries for bug reports specific to the 64 bit version of
> > Kubuntu. However I'm not affected by any 64 bit bugs on my
> > machines and therefore I can't agree with you here. Maybe it
> > depends more on the applications in use than on the system in
> > general. On one of my machines I have both 32 and 64 bit versions
> > installed and I don't notice a real difference. Therefore my
> > suggestion to the original question would be to install 32 bit
> > _and_ 64 bit and try out both. That would be two separate
> > installations though and I don't know if the OP has sufficient
> > space for them on the harddisk.
>
> I originally didn't want to butt in on this, but since I've been
> eyeing 64bit for a while now, and you claim not to have any problems
> with it, I would just like to ask one quick question:
> My main problem with installing a 64bit version of Kubuntu so far has
> been flash. Are you saying that flash is working fine for you? I
> don't have much use for it, but in those cases where I need it, I'd
> really like it to work...
>
>   --Reinhold

Flash works fine.  When you install it from the repositories it pulls in ia32-libs
so the 32 bit stuff works.  The only problems I've been having is with my video
drivers on a new install of 10.04.  For some reason nouveau won't go away
and leaves a shadow box on half my machine.  Just booted up and it's not there
so I think I finally fixed it.

Alan