Can't share audio in ALSA

Gerardo luisgmarengo at aim.com
Wed Aug 25 03:01:47 UTC 2010

Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 August 2010, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 25/08/2010 02:04, Gerardo wrote:
>>> I'm using Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid 64-bit and I'm having a problem
>>> that is driving me insane.  If I'm playing music on Amarok, or
>>> something in mplayer and another application uses the audio
>>> (i.e., KDE notification bell, flash video in firefox, etc...)
>>> the music stops.  The timer in Amarok/mplayer keeps running as
>>> if the song is still playing, but I can't get the audio back
>>> unless I stop playback and restart it again. Pausing and
>>> unpausing doesn't work.
>>>
>>> The same thing works backwards.  If I'm watching a video in
>>> firefox and start Amarok, then the sound in firefox goes out
>>> and I have to reload the page for it to come back.  I didn't
>>> have any problems in Hardy.  It works fine on my kids computer.
>>>
>>> I installed installed pulseaudio on this computer and later
>>> removed it and went back to ALSA.  I don't know if doing this
>>> fudged something.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>
>> I believe the reason why pulseaudio was 'created' is because it
>> can share sound from a number of sources - unlike alsa, which is
>> what you are now experiencing.
>
> That's rubbish. OSS didn't support mixing natively (that's why arts
> and other sound daemons were needed), Alsa does. You obviously
> shouldn't use the OSS compatibility layer if you want to use your
> sound card with multiple applications.
>
> Incidentally, I run Alsa exclusively, no pulse anywhere to be seen.
> Skype often annoys the heck out of me because it insists on beeping
> while I watch videos or listen to music.
>
> @Gerardo: Try making sure that you're using only pulse or alsa. Using
> both in parallel will result in more or less funny errors.
>
>    --Reinhold

Right now, I have all Pulse packages removed, except for libpulse0 that
pulls a lot of packages if I try to remove it.  I used Alsa on Hardy and
never had any problems.  BTW, I didn't upgrade from Hardy, rather I did
a clean install.  Here's a short 20 sec. desktop capture of exactly what
happens:
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=wj6ixj&s=4