Can't share audio in ALSA

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 25 00:52:02 UTC 2010

On 25/08/2010 02:04, Gerardo wrote:
> I'm using Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid 64-bit and I'm having a problem that is
> driving me insane.  If I'm playing music on Amarok, or something in
> mplayer and another application uses the audio (i.e., KDE notification
> bell, flash video in firefox, etc...) the music stops.  The timer in
> Amarok/mplayer keeps running as if the song is still playing, but I
> can't get the audio back unless I stop playback and restart it again.
> Pausing and unpausing doesn't work.
>
> The same thing works backwards.  If I'm watching a video in firefox and
> start Amarok, then the sound in firefox goes out and I have to reload
> the page for it to come back.  I didn't have any problems in Hardy.  It
> works fine on my kids computer.
>
> I installed installed pulseaudio on this computer and later removed it
> and went back to ALSA.  I don't know if doing this fudged something.
>
> Lou

I believe the reason why pulseaudio was 'created' is because it can
share sound from a number of sources - unlike alsa, which is what you
are now experiencing.

The only thing I can suggest is to uninstall both alsa and pulse and
re-install them. Someone else may have a more elegant solution.

There is one more thing about pulseaudio: if you have to configure alsa
then use the terminal mode and run "alsamixer" to see all the settings;
if you run "alsamixergui" you will only see about 4 settings.

BC

--
Gumperson's Law: The probability of anything happening is in
inverse proportion to its desirability.