"Grub loading ...Error 18" - HD's not accessible any more. (Kubuntu Karmic/ WinXP)

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Thu Apr 8 14:29:09 UTC 2010

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 16:20:10 +0200
Bas Roufs <basroufs at gmail.com> wrote:

BR> > Understand, one small point, there is no need for more than 1 swap
BR> > partition however many OS there are.
BR>
BR> OK, clear, good that you mention this.

Using one swap partition for multiple Linuxes can be problematic (and
this is related to a recent thread on the ubuntu list) *buntu and most
other distros refer to the swap partition by UUID -- and I've yet to
find an installer that doesn't insist on reformatting the swap
partition, thus changing the UUID and so disabling swap on the earlier
installs unless you edit /etc/fstab.

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |