Kubuntu a dist in crisis?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 26 20:42:40 UTC 2009

On Monday 26 Oct 2009 19:12:43 Perry wrote:
> Le Monday 26 October 2009 15:37:46 Clay Weber, vous avez écrit :
> > On Monday 26 October 2009 03:24:22 am Ric Moore wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 23:33 -0400, Clay Weber wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Something as dumb as installing Evolution, a gnome app, I expect. Ric
> >

> > That's not a dumb thing to do. It *is* a Gnome app after all, so it needs
> > Gnome things. Ubuntu decides what it's packages depend on, and that is why
> > Evolution pulls in not only base Gnome things, it pulls in other
> > gnome/Ubuntu specifics as well, like pulseaudio, among other things. I
> > don't believe there is a simple way around this. It goes the other way as
> > well; installing kontact in Ubuntu pulls in tons of extras, I am sure.
> >
> > A way to minimize this is to install packages with apt using the ''--no-
> > install-recommends" flag. Even installing synaptic in Karmic pulls in a
> > number of extra (and unneeded in KDE) stuff. I wonder if there is a way to
> > specify this flag in apt's configuration somewhere, as well as what the
> > consequences would be?
> >

> > clay
> A couple of years ago I installed next to my SuSe (and M$) a gnome Ubuntu, and
> seeing it was too different from what I was used to, I installed Kde, could
> boot in both, had cluttered (K)menus with same purpose apps from both
> origins, it caused me some uncertainties about which package manager to use
> (do they share the same data base?), but I survived and so did the systems
> (until a hardware crahs occured).
>
> So my question is: what is wrong in pulling some gnome stuff in Kubuntu?

What? Pollute my beautiful pristine KDE with GTK libraries??! The very thought makes me shudder :-)

One of the things I like about Kubuntu is that I haven't had to install a single Gnome app* or anything that pulls in GTK dependencies. The Kubuntu team do a grand job of KDE-ifiying the system. I just like it that way. Especially on systems with small amounts of RAM, it makes a difference. Kubuntu runs (just) on an ancient 256MB machine. Some other KDE distros don't (or at least, they start to swap when I open the menu, which is as good as don't).

* Firefox excepted of course, but that's not really a Gnome app, Mozilla just haven't seen the light yet :-)

Mark