Flashing the bios

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 18:40:49 GMT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:17 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience flashing their bios to upgrade it?? Is this
> a dicey proposition using Linux? Inquiring minds want to know. :) Ric

Assuming you are talking about flashing your BIOS from within Linux,
and not just flashing the BIOS of you Linux system using a DOS boot
disk...

I haven't done it in a while, but it can be done, depending support
for your motherboard.  At the time, about 7 years ago, there was a
utility named, I think, flashbios, that could burn you a new BIOS from
within a running Linux system.  It was really handy cause there was no
need to boot to a DOS sloppy, first.

Flashing from Linux is possible cause Linux doesn't use the BIOS.
Once it boot, you can remove the BIOS chip.  I used to have a ZIF
socked installed so that I could put new chips in and out without
trouble.  I would use my system to flash multiple chips for other
folks to use.

The tricky part is that flashbios needs to know about your motherboard
and your BIOS chip.    I also think that maybe I was sent a copy of
the program from the MB manufacturer and it may not have been open
source.

Michael