CRT monitors VS Laptop stuff

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at
Tue Oct 6 01:11:35 BST 2009

> Sometimes I miss the good ole days when you had to burn a kernel to get
> X11 at all. Then someone came up with the bright idea of "modules" and
> it all went to heck. <chuckles> Ric

When did you ever have to use the kernel framebuffer to get X support?!

I, for one, am glad that X has been broken into pieces. There was a
market for commercial X servers because of the er...whatever of Xfree86.

You won't have any of the stuff we enjoy now had not there been a fork
from Xfree86. You can still get your big monolithic Xserver if you
want...replace Xorg with Xfree86 if you want.