CRT monitors VS Laptop stuff

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Oct 5 02:06:07 UTC 2009

On Sunday 04 October 2009, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 21:17 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >Oh, a CRT. The gun calling quits then. 19"?
>
>21" Dell P1130  ...it's already wrecked one desk that I put it on. For
>those of us elderly like Gene and me, having LARGE system font size is a
>good thing. :)

I had some NEC's in past years like that, their 17" from 15 years ago must
have weighed in at 75 pounds.

>> In that case Ric, more than likely an electrolytic capacitor is
>> developing an intermittently high ESR (equivalent series resistance).  As
>> ESR meters haven't made it to the DIY toolboxes yet, you may have to find
>> a tech that has one & grease his palm with folding green grease.
>
>The chances of finding a Gene Heskett in southside rural Virginia are
>slim to none. I'd strap this thing to my moped and make a run for your
>place in WV, but if it tipped over, I'd never get it back up again.
>Besides, it's all uphill to there from here.

Both ways...  Moped indeed, find a couple of full gas barrels and bring the
stovebolt.  Then I'll have to go borrow the capacitor wizard from the tv
station.

>Here's the fun thing, when I boot the display looks great in text mode.
>It's also a "Trinitron". So, I keep hoping it may be some bit of errant
>software that is dimming the display. Ric

I suppose that's possible.  Nvidia video card I assume, going from corner to
corner like a cat when it can't find that tub of diatomatious earth?  I have
seen that, as a prelude to going south by dropping a 4 foot crowbar across
the bus, taking the motherboard with it.  When it fades, can you do a
ctrl+alt+bkspc & get back to the text screen to see if its dim too?

Trinitron is now a very old technology, and was prone to green gun losses
when it was new.  Age didn't improve it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

...[Linux's] capacity to talk via any medium except smoke signals.
	-- Dr. Greg Wettstein, Roger Maris Cancer Center