CRT monitors VS Laptop stuff

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Oct 5 04:02:25 UTC 2009

On Sunday 04 October 2009, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 10:06 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> Ric Moore wrote:

>> > 21" Dell P1130  ...it's already wrecked one desk that I put it on. For
>> > those of us elderly like Gene and me, having LARGE system font size is
>> > a good thing. :)
>>
>> Use a lower resolution on one of them fancy new LCD screens? I have a
>> 19" Princeton, only goes up to 1152x868 or something at 75hz refresh
>> rate. With 19" LCD screens for a little over a hundred USD, I think it
>> is time to get it replaced...if only it would break down...:-D

>> > The chances of finding a Gene Heskett in southside rural Virginia are
>> > slim to none. I'd strap this thing to my moped and make a run for your
>> > place in WV, but if it tipped over, I'd never get it back up again.
>> > Besides, it's all uphill to there from here.
>> >
>> > Here's the fun thing, when I boot the display looks great in text mode.
>> > It's also a "Trinitron". So, I keep hoping it may be some bit of errant
>> > software that is dimming the display. Ric
>>
>> Flat screen tube from Sony. I guess you have a horizontal line halfway
>> down the screen and nice square pixels?
>
>I have a bunch of horizontal lines that are on a slant. I didn't have
>them at all until I installed a newer nVidia card than the older one
>(5200) I had. I'm shopping New Egg to replace it. Ric

It was a gforce2-5200 that ate a motherboard for me about 4 years ago.  That
biostar board wasn't all that well designed, an AMD xp1400 running at 1400
always ran hot enough I had to pull the monster, fire siren cooler and clean
it up & replace the artic silver about 2x a year, or it would hit the 175C
shutdown and die.

After I replaced it with another board and an XP2800, which was far from 2x
as fast as the XP1400, I took that xp1400 and its gig of dram and put it on a
Mach Speed board, same cooler too.  It hasn't run over 130F since, and its
now running at 1600mhz.  Its running my baby milling machine, and doing it
very well.  The Mach Speed board apparently has good dram timing, and except
for a spate of power failures that finally broke my old UPS, has simply
soldiered on 24/7/365 for about 4 years now.  Running kubuntu-6.06 LTS.

Oh, I did have one video failure out there, a gforce 3 6200's fan died, and
it self destructed as any of those will do when the fan gets a tummy ache.
There is an old TNT video card it in now, plenty good enough to do that job.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

If someone stinks, view it as a reason to help them, not a reason to
avoid them.
             -- Larry Wall in <199702111730.JAA28598 at wall.org>