crontab

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Nov 20 23:36:38 GMT 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 20 November 2009, Ian L. Target wrote:
>>Thomas Olsen wrote:

>>> It's a bit hard to say without knowing what script you're using.
>>> You could just run "crontab -e" from Konsole but then you should
>>> definitely read the man page.
>>> Otherwise use "System Settings"=>"Advanced"=>"Task Scheduler" and choose
>>> "Personal Cron". I haven't used it my self but it looks rather intuitive
>>> to use.
>>
>>When in konsole, I get the same error message:
>>
>>You (ian) or not allowed to use this program (crontab)
>>
> Damn!  What ID10T made that decision?  Dumb.

Why would you jump to the conclusion that some IDIOT made any decision.
When _I_ run the crontab command it works fine.  Which suggests to me that
either: somebody used sudo in the wrong place and wrote a file that he can't
read as a less privileged user, or there's a /etc/cron.allow file (which, if
empty, will prevent users from using crontab) but that's not a default
Ubuntu file.
--
derek