What is your favourite FLOSS application?

Charles T. Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Nov 18 08:01:17 GMT 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Tshepang Lekhonkhobe has been running the Favourite FLOSS survery for
> several years on the Debian list. This year, with his blessing, I take
> the survey to the Ubuntu and Kubuntu lists. Below is a template where
> you can fill in your favourite applications. If an app does not fit in
> any of the categories, please put it under misc utilities and suggest
> a new category. Please do not add what you have not really used. You
> can include more than one entrant per category, but please don't
> bloat.
>
> Accessibility:
> Address Book:
> Audio Editor:
> Audio Player:
> Calendar:
> CD Ripper:
> Collaboration:
> Database Management:
> Desktop Environment OR Window Manager:
> Development:
> Dictionary/Translation:
> Disc Burner:
> E-mail Client:
> File Compression:
> File Manager:
> Finance:
> Learning tool:
> FTP Client:
> Game:
> Image Creator/Editor:
> Image Viewer:
> Instant Messenger:
> Mapping:
> Mathematics:
> Misc Utilities:
> Note-taking:
> P2P:
> Package Manager:
> Personal Wiki:
> Phone/PDA Sync Tool:
> Photo Organizer:
> Plenetarium:
> PDF/PS Reader:
> PDF Writer:
> Security:
> Spreadsheet:
> Terminal Emulator:
> Text Editor:
> Video Player:
> Virtual Machine / Windows Emulator:
> Web Browser:
> Word Processor:
>

> SPECIAL CATEGORIES
>
> Non-free applications that you use:
> Websites for finding new applications:
> Unreleased and highly anticipated application:
> Dying/dead applications (abandonware) still in use:
> Software available for Windows that you need on Linux:
> One outstanding issue with Linux/Ubuntu that needs immediate attention:
> Any organisation or community deserving great honours:
> Any FLOSS developer deserving great honours:
> Anything else deserving great honours:

Accessibility:
Address Book:
Audio Editor: Audacity
Audio Player: Amarok
Calendar:
CD Ripper:
Collaboration:
Database Management:
Desktop Environment OR Window Manager: Compiz Fusion
Development:
Dictionary/Translation:
Disc Burner: K3B
E-mail Client: Thunderbird
File Compression: Ark
File Manager: Dolphin
Finance: Buddi
Learning tool:
FTP Client:
Game:
Image Creator/Editor: GIMP
Image Viewer: Gwenview, Rawstudio
Instant Messenger:
Mapping:
Mathematics:

Misc Utilities: IQFIRE-wall (category: Firewall)
        KOceanSaver (screensaver)
        Album Shaper (create photo albums in html)

Note-taking:
P2P:
Package Manager: Kpackagekit, Synaptic, Apt-get, Aptitude
Personal Wiki:
Phone/PDA Sync Tool:
Photo Organizer:
Plenetarium:
PDF/PS Reader: Okular
PDF Writer: OOo Writer
Security: OpenPGP
Spreadsheet:
Terminal Emulator: Konsole
Text Editor: Kate
Video Player: VLC, Dragonplayer (until it was broken by kubuntu Karmic
Koala)
Virtual Machine / Windows Emulator: WINE
Web Browser: Firefox
Word Processor: OOo Writer

Tom Bell

 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  -- Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal), Roman Poet, late 1st, early 2nd century AD
("Who will protect us from the protectors?")