Urgent help needed - desktop/ screen Kubuntu Karmic does not function at all!

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:22:12 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 17 November 2009 15:56:58 Bas Roufs wrote:
> If it is a bug, I am perfectly happy to report it. (Where and how
> exactly? Via Launchpad?) But could you suggest me some temporary fix
> which at least would enable me to work again at the 9.10 partition?
You know, I can't recall the address. Perhaps Dotan Cohen will pop-up, he
knows a lot more about the bug-reporting side of things.

All I can tell you is that when my 3D compositor (Desktop effects) is running
everything works fine. After a few hours, however, this begins to crash and
slow down and entire windows stop being drawn. I then switch it off
(shift+alt+f12 I think) and fall-back to non-3D mode. It is in the non 3D mode
that I get all these blackouts and 'holes' in the screen. However, I have
become used to them and I find that resizing windows temporarily removes the
holes.

You problem sounds much more drastic and I have no idea how to fix it -- but
try to toggle 3D compositing on and off and see if that has some effect.

I suspect you will be digging into your xorg.conf file pretty soon ;) Stick
around, I am sure someone will have a better idea soon.

\d

--
home: http://otherwise.relics.co.za/
2D vector animation : https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/things/