Sound dead after upgrade

Charles T. Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Nov 2 08:11:08 UTC 2009

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 23:26 -0500, Jerry Lapham wrote:

>>> Is the lack of sound isolated to the movies or is it dead all over. If
>>> it is just movies what player are you using? Is the volume turned up on
>>> the player?
>>>
>> I installed 9.10 on an empty partition and I'm not getting sound from
>> Flashplayer on Firefox.  I'm also not getting sound or video from .wmv files.
>>

> I had that happen several weeks ago, ergo my previous rant.
>
> I >think< what finally cured it was to delete .asoundconf and a reboot.
> It's become all magic to me. This was after waving a chicken foot (I
> resulted to voodoo magic), whining on this list and wasting a perfectly
> good Sunday fixing what had worked previously. Ah, the smell of
> progress! It's like napalm in the morning on my fading brain. X{ Ric
>
> p/s Gene, what worked for you???

I had the same problem when I upgraded from 9.04 JJ to 9.10 KK
However, when I started to report a bug with Amarok not working
while everything seemed to work fine, I left Amarok playing the playlist
and when the second song started playing, suddenly the sound
came blaring through.  I don't know if it works this way for everyone,
but it sure did for me.

Tom

 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  -- Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal), Roman Poet, late 1st, early 2nd century AD
("Who will protect us from the protectors?")