Sound dead after upgrade

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 2 13:57:35 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 November 2009, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 23:26 -0500, Jerry Lapham wrote:

>> > Is the lack of sound isolated to the movies or is it dead all over. If
>> > it is just movies what player are you using? Is the volume turned up on
>> > the player?
>>
>> I installed 9.10 on an empty partition and I'm not getting sound from
>> Flashplayer on Firefox.  I'm also not getting sound or video from .wmv
>> files.
>
>I had that happen several weeks ago, ergo my previous rant.
>
>I >think< what finally cured it was to delete .asoundconf and a reboot.
>It's become all magic to me. This was after waving a chicken foot (I
>resulted to voodoo magic), whining on this list and wasting a perfectly
>good Sunday fixing what had worked previously. Ah, the smell of
>progress! It's like napalm in the morning on my fading brain. X{ Ric
>
>p/s Gene, what worked for you???

I believe it was the removal of the kde-pulse package.  But that was so far
back up the log now that I won't put my hand anywhere near the good book when
I say that.  Something pulled kde-settings-pulseaudio back in and I've had
some wierd, total distortion sound lately on some sites, so I just nuked that
puppy again.  And both foxnews and cnn are now playing good again.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The Phone Booth Rule:
	A lone dime always gets the number nearly right.