KDE4.3 beta issues

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 18:04:36 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> So, if I want to go back to Jaunty Kde 4.2.3 from Jaunty Kde 4.3 beta,
>> is there a simpler way than reinstalling Jaunty and reupgrading to Kde
>> 4.2.3?
>>

> It's hard to say without trying first, but I would remove the 4.3 beta
> repo, install the 4.2.3 repo, then run "sudo apt-get -f install kde".
> But that is untested, so I promise nothing!
>
> Note that you should _definitely_ rename ~/.kde when downgrading! Do
> so before the downgrade, so that your settings remain intact, then
> after the downgrade and the first time that you start KDE 4.2.3 remove
> ~/.kde again.

yeah! now what's up with that? why would an upgrade touch my home directory?
upgrading to KDE 4.3 wiped my settings clear, this doesn't make sense,
and the first time ever for a KDE update/upgrade to affect my settings.
another issue, why is autologin disabled in KDE 4.3? the whole
convenience page is grayed out. i had to manually edit /etc/kdmrc to
enable my autologin again. which IS working, so not sure why they chose
to disable it :S

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems