Jaunty: How to install a USB printer?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri May 15 17:02:06 BST 2009

On Friday 15 May 2009, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 08:38 +0000, marc wrote:
>> Ric Moore said:

>> > Samba will steal it and put permissions to it. I know that one from hard
>> > experience as I noted. I'd really like to know how this turns out. :)
>>
>> Do you know how to get samba to "unsteal" it, without removing samba?
>
>Easier to remove samba, see if that was the problem, and re-install it
>after.

Huge overkill Ric.  sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf and comment out or remove
the printers section.  Then create an /etc/cups/client.conf file with one
active line:
-------------------
# Client.conf
ServerName coyote.coyote.den
-------------------
That is an FQDN in my case, or the ipv4 address of the server is known to
work.  My small network uses host files, not dhcp, so the addresses are all
stable addresses.

Restart both nmbd and smbd, then cups.  Any printers located or accessed by
$ServerName should now be visible at http://localhost:631/printers, and usable
with nothing more complex then an 'lpr [-Pprintername] file-to-print'

>Maybe save this for last, when you have nothing else to lose. That's how
>I fix stuff, I get BOLD when I've come to the point I have nothing to
>lose. I just tore down a 27hp Kohler engine as I was pretty sure it
>tossed a rod and that nothing I could do would hurt it further.
>
>This is off-topic as anything but did you know that no vertical shaft
>engine will take a slope more than 22 degrees without pulling air into
>the oil sump? But, if you figure out what side the sump is located, you
>can tilt more than 22 degrees to that side as the oil spills over to
>that side. Tilting the other way, away from the sump is sure fire $2,100
>replacement time. I found out the hard way. <grins> I guess the moral of
>the story is that when I had nothing to lose, I tore into it. Ric

That 22 degrees is an arbitrary limit, depending on the engine model and
maker.  Generally a tossed rod=large hole in the side of the case.  In fact I
consider that prima faci evidence of such.  I believe the applicable phrase
when talking about an auto engine is "and the pan wasn't big enough for all
the parts. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)