CPU temp

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Sat May 16 09:41:19 UTC 2009

Cary Bielenberg said:

> marc wrote:
>> Pastor JW said:
>>

>>> I've had something strange happening the past couple of days.  My CPU
>>> temp normally runs at 46-49 C but a couple days ago the fan went on
>>> full and the temp went to 84 C which I think is not good, and did not
>>> come back down. Running top shows python taking 100% of CPU.  Looking
>>> at the logs does not seem to say any error, or at least I can't spot
>>> any.  I don't know what called python or what was running any
>>> differently than usual.  Running 8.04 KDE 3.5.10 T5450 Intel Core 2
>>> Duo, 4 Gig memory. Anyone have any idea about what is causing this?
>>>

>> No, but I experience the same thing with kwin. No idea what it is.
>>

> I have the same problem I have rectified by selecting aggressive power
> saving mode. My xorg & plasma are consuming almost 100% cpu.

Just an FYI for anyone reading this:

For light use, especially on a laptop even on mains power, I usually
switch to the 'Powersave' power governor. It's easy to switch governors
now via:

  <alt>+f2
  power govenor

then select from the list.

If you want to explore this area a little, try installing the cpufrequtils
package (it's tiny) and do:

  $ cpufreq-info

There's an interesting read about Linux power management here:

  http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/power-management-guide.xml

--
Best,
Marc