Find

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Sun May 10 00:19:39 BST 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Steven Vollom
<stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Earlier, perhaps a month or more, I couldn't get stored info into my
> appropriate partition.  I wanted to keep the data from entering the boot
> partition, because of the small size of the boot partition, 20gb.  I pasted my
> /home/ steven folder that contained what I wanted in the storage partition
> into /media/disk-1, a large partition outside the Operating System partition.
> Afterward the stored items were in a partition large enough to hold them.
> Nonetheless, when I open Dolphin, it contains /home/steven on the boot
> partition.  Anytime I download a movie, it would save to the
> /CompletedDownloaded folder on the /boot drive, which would fill the partition
> up quite fast.  So, I cut the /home/steven, and pasted it into the
> /media/disk-1/partition.  Now all that data is saved to a partition large
> enough to hold it.  Then I put a Quick Access widget on the panel with the
> address to the /media/disk-1/steven so that I could easily obtain access to
> all the data in that partition.

Steven,

Here are 3 potential solutions for you.

1. As other have suggetsed, you can shange the location where various
apps store their downloads.  The downside to this is that you must
configure each application separately.

2. I would recommend that you move your entire /home directory to
another partition.  mount your (empty) partition at say /media/mnt and
copy all of home there "sudo cp -a /home/* /media/mnt".  Now edit your
/etc/fstab.  Add a line to mount your formerly empty partition at
/home.  Reboot.

When you reboot your /home will be the new partition.  since it is
done by a mount, it is transparent to any applications.  All home
files will be kept on the partition.

3. Use symlinks.  I do this for my media files.  I mount the other
partition on /Media and I create directories on another partition with
lots of space named, say, "Videos" or "Music".  Then I create symbolic
links to them "ln -s /Media/Music $HOME".  Then I make sure that such
files are put in "~/Music".  This has some similarities to solution 1.

For simplicity, you can't beat solution 1.  It has a second benefit of
keeping your home directories separate from your OS files, so if you
even need to reinstall the OS, or put in an alternate OS, you can do
so without worrying about your home files.

Michael