How to turn off IPV6

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon May 11 15:32:01 UTC 2009

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:42, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca>
> wrote:
>> Antonio Augusto (Mancha) wrote:
>>>
>>> This won't work on Jaunty (at least not on the version I tested), I've
>>> filled a bug about it, which is still open:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/351656
>>>
>> Unless that's not the correct key, it should work - I certainly have
>> sysctl.conf settings working at every boot.
>
> Just tested it on a stock kernel (2.6.28-11#42) and I cannot disable
> Ipv6 at all. Nor running sysctl, nor putting it on /etc/sysctl.conf,
> not echoing 1 to /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6.

Indeed - I just happened to be trying out IPv6 in a VM and knew it
_was_working.  Setting /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6 (which did
contain 0) to 1 had no effect, and I could still use ipv6 to connect to it.

So either that key doesn't do what we think it does - in which case there's
a usability bug - or it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. :-(
--
derek