How to turn off IPV6

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) mkhaos7 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 17:00:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:32, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Antonio Augusto (Mancha) wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:42, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca>
>> wrote:

>>> Unless that's not the correct key, it should work - I certainly have
>>> sysctl.conf settings working at every boot.
>>
>> Just tested it on a stock kernel (2.6.28-11#42) and I cannot disable
>> Ipv6 at all. Nor running sysctl, nor putting it on /etc/sysctl.conf,
>> not echoing 1 to /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6.
>
> Indeed - I just happened to be trying out IPv6 in a VM and knew it
> _was_working.  Setting /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6 (which did
> contain 0) to 1 had no effect, and I could still use ipv6 to connect to it.
>
> So either that key doesn't do what we think it does - in which case there's
> a usability bug - or it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. :-(

As per de bug I've posted early, this is a bug on the kernel. A fix is
already available somewhere in the kernel tree (I think somewhere on
the 2.6.29 tree, bug don't know for sure). The best way of action
would be to backport that fix (a very simple one, for what I've seen),
as I've requested on that same bug.

Hope someone get to do this sooner than latter.

Cheers