codec for .wmv with audio v3

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 2 02:05:24 UTC 2009

On Friday 01 May 2009 12:58:36 pm Tony Sivori wrote:
> I'm running 8.04 and KDE 3.5. All updates are installed.
>
> Recently I'm getting no sound from some videos. I know it is possible that
> the poster posted a defective file, but they all seem to be the same type
> (.wmv) and xine always shows the same error:
>
> .wmv unsupported codec:
> Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio v3 (0x16)
>
> Here's an example:
> message-id: <49f24311$0$27405$6d4158fb at reader.xsnews.nl-6ba8957d>
>
> Results are the same, video but no sound with xine, Mplayer, VLC media
> player, Avidemux, Helix, and Kaffiene. Kaffiene tries to install a codec,
> but gives an error that the "codec package is already installed".
>
> Any help, or any idea of when audio support for v3 wmv files will be
> added?
>
> --
> Tony Sivori
> Due to spam, I'm filtering all Google Groups posters.
It is something new.  I don't even download them, because they never work.
they will dry up for Linux users, because they are always the same, a waste of
download time.  I use Ktorrent.  When I don't notice and download a .wmv, I
don't upload what I have downloaded, because I have wasted enough time, and
the person I am not supplying data is about to be disappointed too, I believe.
Perhaps they work on Windows machines, but I don't think so.

Steven