codec for .wmv with audio v3

Sat May 2 12:44:59 UTC 2009

On Friday 01 May 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Friday 01 May 2009 12:58:36 pm Tony Sivori wrote:
> > I'm running 8.04 and KDE 3.5. All updates are installed.
> >
> > Recently I'm getting no sound from some videos. I know it is possible
> > that the poster posted a defective file, but they all seem to be the same
> > type (.wmv) and xine always shows the same error:
> >
> > .wmv unsupported codec:
> > Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio v3 (0x16)
> >
> > Here's an example:
> > message-id: <49f24311$0$27405$6d4158fb at reader.xsnews.nl-6ba8957d>
> >
> > Results are the same, video but no sound with xine, Mplayer, VLC media
> > player, Avidemux, Helix, and Kaffiene. Kaffiene tries to install a codec,
> > but gives an error that the "codec package is already installed".
> >
> > Any help, or any idea of when audio support for v3 wmv files will be
> > added?
> >
> > --
> > Tony Sivori
> > Due to spam, I'm filtering all Google Groups posters.
>
> It is something new.  I don't even download them, because they never work.
> they will dry up for Linux users, because they are always the same, a waste
> of download time.  I use Ktorrent.  When I don't notice and download a
> .wmv, I don't upload what I have downloaded, because I have wasted enough
> time, and the person I am not supplying data is about to be disappointed
> too, I believe. Perhaps they work on Windows machines, but I don't think
> so.

I download a ton of wmv files...and honestly, I have never had one without
sound. I can't seem to figure out how to loop through all of the wmv files in a
dir and get the audio info on it...mplayer -identify in a for loop wouldn't
play nice and xine has no listed option...Anyone know of a method in a for
loop?