Easy way to install e-Sword through wine

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 9 19:35:41 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 09 June 2009 04:34:12 pm Pastor JW wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 June 2009 11:18:46 am Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> > steven vollom wrote:
> > > Please answer my question about GNB and mentioned features.  If they
> > > are now available in Bibletime, I will struggle no further and install
> > > Bibletime.  I also like many of the alternate offers, like historical
> > > mapping, etc.  I can live without them, but I would rather go through
> > > the trouble getting e-Sword installed than miss those features.  Thanks
> > > brother.
> > >
> > > Steven
> >
> > Steven,
> > you might like to try for yourself:
> >
> > sudo apt-get install bibletime
> >
> > after installing it, you will find additional modules and bibles here:
> > http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/index.jsp
> >
> > There are about 36 english bibles available, among them a "bible in
> > Basic english", if this is what you are looking for. I do not know, I
> > just found a good bible (good for me) in german.
>
> What he is looking for is Today's English Version (TEV) which is renamed in
> some countries as Good News Translation (GNT) or Good News Bible (GNB),
> however, if e-sword uses sword modules then he already has the Bible.  He
> just needs to open it with Bibletime is all.  As for features, I like the
> parallel display best and compare several versions at once back to a
> literal translation such as Darby.

For quite some time, I have been using colors and the highlight tool to
separate various kinds of things, so that when I am reading I am reminded.
Additionally the underline feature is something I use quite often for special
reminders.  My e-bible is getting to look like a Christmas tree with all its
colors, but really adds something for me.

Every time somethings makes a special understanding for me, I look for
confirmation so I know my understanding is pure.  As I find the confirmation, it
is coded by color to the thing it confirms.  I am amazed by how many times I
find new things each time I read the Bible.  It is like the blinders being
removed with each reading.  As much as I like Bibletime, it is simple and
clean and great for reading, just not quite as good for study.  I will keep it
installed, though for when the color affect the reading.  Thanks for the
recommendation.

Steven