Easy way to install e-Sword through wine

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 9 13:25:38 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 09 June 2009 02:20:49 am Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> steven vollom wrote:
> > I stepped away from the computer and had a conversation with a neighbor.
> > When I came back to the computer, I could see what I was missing before.
> > I got to the point of confidence and went ahead and continued the
> > instruction.  Wine is now installed, and I am comfortable that it is
> > installed properly version 1.0.1, the stable version, not the Beta.  I
> > went back to his instruction and continued.  After installing the
> > Installer, I Extracted  and his script was in Kate.  I checked the box
> > making it executable and noticed that ownership was steven steven, which
> > was encouraging, but now I am unsure of what to do next.
> >
> > Do I download e-Sword now?  When it is downloaded, do I just click on the
> > .exe and does the installer take over?  Then, are the missing dll's
> > installed already so that I don't have to do that?  Is there a source for
> > the bbl files, or do I just use my CD?  Should I add font smoothing?
> > Thanks for any reply.
>
> Steven,
> as David pointed out, wine version 1.0.1 is to old. See his answer on
> how to upgrade wine to the latest version.
>
> After wine is done, the whole purpose of Davids script is to simplify
> the e-sword installation on wine.
>
> So you do it like this:
> -Install the latest wine
> -Download Davids script and execute it according to the forum page
> The installer will download and install e-sword and all the additional
> things that are required to make it work.
> -you are done
>
> -if fonts are looking ugly, you can then download Davids fontsmoother
> script and this will do the rest for you.
>
> On another note:
> What is it that makes you e-sword junkies so unhappy with KDE's
> bibletime? I always thought that wine was the last possibility when
> there is no decent Linux application to do the job. In contrast,
> bibletime works simply great imho.
>
> kind regards
> Eberhard
David's script opens in Kate.  I read it and several lined preceded by echo
had red writing.  When I read down, I noticed that it said you had to have e-
Sword installed for the script to work, so I clicked on the e-Sword
application and installed it.  Up to then, I thought his script did that part.

My difficulty is in seeing how the script works.  I can't find anything on the
page when kate opens and shows the script that would allow you to engage it.
There is no click to install button, no menu choice for installation or
anything that I can see.  Have I actually gotten his script to the point it
will function?  When I installed e-Sword, the cursor bounced like it was going
to open, but it did not open.  I have Wine 1.1.23 installed, so that is not
the problem.  Do you see what I am missing?

Eberhard, I will repeat again, because each of your emails keeps wondering why
e-Sword, my preferred choice for Bible Translation is the GOOD NEWS BIBLE  as
stated in the e-Sword download, GNB.  If Bibletime has it, I will use it.  I
tried Bibletime years ago, and it did not include the GNB translation.

Additionally e-Sword has a highlight feature that I use each time I read.  I
would need that too.  Also underline and magnify or enlarge font.  Those are
all features that are important to me.

Steven