Problem with Live CD.

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 9 02:25:09 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 05:35:34 pm Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 06:31:15 am Goh Lip wrote:
> > steven vollom wrote:
>
> Steve! Long time no see, good to see you still pushing (and occasionally
> tearing) the envelope :)
>
> > Steven, please stop. seriously. Karmic uses grub2 and
> > Grub2 have more problems with booting OS's from 2 separate HDD's.
> > Give it time. It will improve.
>
> Have to second that advice Steve, its only *Alpha 2*, it has months to go
> before a RC release (November). I tried the Alpha 2 and managed to trash
> all my partitions including the backup, ended up with a unbootable brick.
> If you have a spare PC with no data on it use that, otherwise best to wait
> I think.
>

> --
> Lindsay
> http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home

Wow! that sounds like a great idea.  I have the old box and am about to format
all drives and partitions.  I planned to put xubuntu in it to try something
different, but I really want the lumps I will get from Koala.  I promise to not
bug the List with my problems if that is why you all advise against.

I was just writing another friend about my experiences with Jaunty Alpha and
Beta.  As I recall, there were only two issues that came up which were caused
by the problems with development.  The rest was just my lack of skill with
computers.  I would have had most of the same problems using any stable OS,
because I just did not know enough to solve simple problems.

When people thought I should be using Intrepid, or even Hardy, neither of
those OS's could handle the equipment of my new computer.  I had to use Jaunty
or go to Vista, and I hated that thought.  This transition sounds a lot more
daunting, but if a solution is to use a different computer, I will do that.  I
really want to get my feet wet, if just to see where new technology is taking
us.  Unfortunately the computer I will use is no powerhouse; it is a P4
2300mhhz w/only 512mb of ram, but Kubuntu seems to keep their os's able to
function with so little ram, so maybe it will work.

I sure don't want to screw up the new box.  If new HDD's are the root of big
problems, I just don't want to gamble.  The old box has 200gb and 80gb, that
is plenty of storage for an experimental OS.  If I up the memory a bit, say to
2gb, it may even work OK.

Nice to hear your voice Lindsay.  You have always been kind to me, and I
appreciate you.

Steven