Kubuntu 8.10 does not recognise external HD with NTFS and FAT32 partitions.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 09:24:21 UTC 2009

Dear everybody

It is a good moment to briefly summarise everything. In Kubuntu 8.10,
the external HD is still not being mounted - even not after several
attempts via two computers and at least 4 USB ports, from which I know
they work properly with other USB devices.
On the other hand, the presence of the HD is being mentioned elsewhere
in Kubuntu, when it is plugged in: in some log files as well as in
'Mount Manager', which says that the mount point is 'unknown'.
Moreover, I can normally and properly access both the FAT32 and the
NTFS partitions of the device via the Windows partition of the desktop
PC and via  an Apple (Mc. OS) computer.

Now, 2 questions pop up in me.

Is there any terminal test which can reveal the presence of any device
at any USB port?

Is it worth trying to reformat the external HD after backing up the
data on it elsewhere? If so, how exactly?

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

--
Viaconsensus