Kubuntu 8.10 does not recognise external HD with NTFS and FAT32 partitions.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 23:51:50 UTC 2009

> OK, then my suspicion is that either your external disk or your usb port is faulty.

At the desktop PC, I have tried it via different USB ports - but all
of them do function properly together with other USB devices. The same
applies for the laptop.

> As you already tried with another usb port, iirc, you should either take out the actual disk and use another usb casing for it

'USB casing': a box? a cable? ....?

> or you use a device to connect pure (i.e. without casing) IDE/SATA harddisks to usb for quic and dirty data transfers eg. from a dying harddisk.

???

> Lastly you could take your usb disk to a different computer. If the
> other one is linux, let's see what happens. If it is windows, let's see
> what happens. ;-))

When I connect the external HD to the WINDOWS partition of the desktop
pc, it DOES function properly: even when using exactly the same USB
port, etc.
But when I connect the device to any USB port of the laptop, which is
also Kubuntu 8.10, I have exactly the same problem. So, it must be
some software problem.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.