Kubuntu 8.10 does not recognise external HD with NTFS and FAT32 partitions.

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Fri Jan 30 22:20:53 UTC 2009

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Eberhard and Everybody
>

>> in the last line(s) of this command's output, you should see the device
>> name(s) for your ntfs drive and for your fat32 drive, respectively.
> I wish you were right. But above you can see the harsh reality.....

OK, then my suspicion is that either your external disk or your usb port
is faulty.

As you already tried with another usb port, iirc, you should either take
out the actual disk and use another usb casing for it or you use a
device to connect pure (i.e. without casing) IDE/SATA harddisks to usb
for quic and dirty data transfers eg. from a dying harddisk.

Lastly you could take your usb disk to a different computer. If the
other one is linux, let's see what happens. If it is windows, let's see
what happens. ;-))

Kind regards
Eberhard